Thursday, August 18, 2011

God wrote two books



God wrote two books


I.
The insides of my skin are singing
as summer runs like lilies in rain

My blood maps my body in new patterns
many times a day,
and each wash and remaking
brings the veins closer to happiness
and collapse

II.
I hold the toad long enough to tell him all my quiet fears,
he seems to like that some,
pushes his dry soft belly against my palm,
nosing the spaces between my fingers,
asking me where my webbing’s
got to, and have I lost it along with everything else?

Down in the dirt,
his jelly cheeks brush outward into night air
as he tries to hold me with his sticky slick toes,
but he is very small
and I too human to condense to his caress,
so he leaves me with one final frog-lipped kiss
and pulls away over grass and weed

The worms are better listeners
and beautiful by starlight,
their organ skin dark and lustrous
under the moon glow

I watch them bully the dirt into helixes     
and half circles for their over-hearted
bodies to languish beneath—
they are all going someplace,
and I whisper to them some of my sadness,
that they may carry off pieces
to places far away from me

The grass is best of all,
and that is because it makes me up:
I know that veins aren’t so much hollow
spaghetti straws as they are fibrous
weeds knitted up under my skin
as like worms they tunnel their way
through dark cells,
mounting into stalk highways,
breaking over lips,
fanning out into the thirsty mouths of my organs

I pull a strand of grass from the ground,
and it says a reluctant farewell
in the same way my hair speaks to my scalp—
I know that this means we’re really all the same,
the toad, the worms, the living dirt,
and if I’m logical, then I’d also know
that if I lie here long enough
the human parts break down
as every little fiber and wet thing takes them in,
sucks them up, slickens themselves with feeling
and bumps away like the toad

And then I say goodbye too
to all the human bits
and hello to the dirt, the toad,
the worms and all the places
they have always meant to take me

No comments:

Post a Comment